The Mental Health & Wellness training kicks off with a deeper look at the biological and environmental factors that make us ‘the way we are.’
We’ll examine the research behind how nature and nurture shape our unique mental health and the foundations of how learning and cognitive development shape our perceptions as it relates to mental health, and the common stressors that lead to psychological difficulties, including but not limited to: depression, anxiety, trauma and addiction.
This training will cover:
- An in-depth look at the science and therapeutic theory behind psychological health and wellness
- Interactive exercises and case studies to integrate the material
- The application of yoga and related approaches to work with and troubleshoot a variety of mental wellness ailments that may arise with yoga students and private clients
- There will also be case studies, journaling prompts, and stress management planning exercises to help you integrate the information along the way
PLUS, a variety of more nuanced and complex topics, including:
- The effects of meditation and movement on the brain, and ways to improve mental fitness, adaptability and resilience through yoga
- Effective strategies to navigate stress and the resulting inflammation
- The biology of behavior and emotion (i.e. genetics, epigenetics, neuroscience)
- The lens of arousal and how experiences affect anxiety
- Characteristics of trauma, how yoga practices can be supportive, and sensitivity tips to skillfully teach a trauma-informed approach
- Cognitions, nerve cells and signaling, and how learning shapes us
- Positive psychology, and strategies to powerfully support individual differences in mental health
Please note that this Mental Health and Wellness Module does not include the Traditional Chinese Medicine portion that is included in the online version.
This yoga teacher training counts as 50 hours towards your 500-hour/1000-hour Yoga Medicine certification. Directly following the yoga teacher training you will be invited to take an online exam to receive your certificate of completion.