Many times, when the chair is used as a prop it is seen as a “crutch.” The chair can bring greater depth to an asana, allow the practitioner to experience the pose in a different way, or perhaps for the first time because it was previously inaccessible.
This course, Beyond Chair Yoga, supports the teacher as they expand their knowledge beyond their current conception of the use of a yoga chair and it supports the student in exploration of their practice. Many teachers have basic knowledge of use of props; however, not one size fits all. This course will cover use of props, how, why and training the eye when looking at your students.
Your instructor, Lisa Muehlenbein, is a vinyasa and restorative yoga teacher with over 6,000 hours of teaching experience. She has completed three 500hr trainings and specifically trained in chair yoga during one of those 500hr programs. Lisa designed this course for yoga teachers who are looking to enhance and explore different dimensions of their teaching with the use of a yoga chair. This course is especially suitable for teachers who work with private clients; however, a vinyasa component will be included.
What Will I Learn?
- Gain tools to utilize the yoga chair to meet the needs of students who need additional support during their yoga practice; vinyasa class, restorative and yin class.
- Gain tools to enhance the yoga practice of students who are looking to deepen their practice in a non-traditional way by utilizing the yoga chair.
- Design classes to meet the needs of a student who has full function, but allow them to explore their yoga practice from a different perspective.
- Identify ways to use the yoga chair to meet the needs of students in an unconventional way.
- Props needed would include: 2 yoga chairs (with back removed), 1 sandbag, 2 blankets (minimum) or 4 blankets (ideal), two 4” yoga blocks (preferably cork), 2 10” yoga straps, 2 bolsters (minimum) while 4 is desirable.
- Foundational knowledge in anatomy, restorative yoga, yin yoga and chair yoga will be helpful, but not required to complete this course.
- Course length: a little over 1 hour of online training videos
- Multidisciplinary learning methods of theory (lecture) and application (sample asana practices where we’ll incorporate the chair into vinyasa, restorative and yoga classes.
- Two downloadable handouts are provided.
- A certificate of completion after passing the online quiz.
- Watch and review on-demand! Your access to this course does not expire so you can always return to deepen your understanding over time.
- This course is eligible for 1 hour of continuing education hours towards the Yoga Medicine® 500/1000 program and/or Yoga Alliance continuing education hours.
- By the end of this course, the viewer will have the knowledge of how to incorporate the yoga chair (and additional props) into a vinyasa class, a restorative class and a yin class.
About The Teacher
Lisa Muehlenbein is an E-RYT 500 and Yoga Medicine Registered Therapeutic Specialist. She is currently nearing completion of her 1000-hour training through Yoga Medicine. As a yoga teacher, she loves having tools that can allow her to creatively address the individual needs of her students and private clients.
As a vinyasa and restorative yoga teacher with over 6,000 hours of teaching experience, she values the perspectives gained from teaching internationally and across the country, and these unique opportunities are infused in her teaching. Lisa offers privates, group classes, and workshops in Naples, Florida, where she focuses on meeting the student where they are at through a combination of functional movement, creative sequencing, and mindfulness practices.