by Allie Geer, RYT-500, RYPT, E-RYT-200, Yoga Medicine® Therapeutic Specialist
As a yoga teacher, working with expectant mothers can be a rewarding and unique experience. There are so many questions when working with pregnancy, so this course aims to answer those questions by giving you tools that will empower you, the yoga teacher, to work with pregnant women.
Prenatal Therapeutics – creating strength and stability during pregnancy highlights key areas to focus on when designing a therapeutic practice for pregnancy. This online course is comprised of an informative lecture paired with a longer sample practice. The asana component is led by prenatal teacher and Yoga Medicine® Therapeutic Specialist, Allie Geer, who guides a pregnant mom through a series of active and restorative asana to provide demonstrative visuals of working with a pregnant yogi. Through lecture and practice, we will rule out misconceptions about practicing yoga during pregnancy and review a helpful list of do’s and don’ts for modifying an asana practice for an expecting mom.
As a yoga teacher, this course is a resource for the following:
- Approaching prenatal yoga with a therapeutic lens
- Key talking points to discussion with an expectant mother
- Building strength and stability for a positive impact on a woman’s health and her baby
- Contraindications for pregnancy
- Prenatal yoga do’s and don’ts
Tools you will need for the practice component:
- A bolster, a blanket, 2 yoga blocks, and an optional chair.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply therapeutic concepts into your prenatal classes
- Understand how to interweave strength and stability during pregnancy
- Approach working with a pregnant mom while remaining mindful of common do’s and don’ts for a prenatal setting
- Explain and dispel common myths surrounding yoga and pregnancy
- Incorporate modifications for a prenatal yoga session and suggestions to help ease the symptoms associated with pregnancy.
- A straightforward introduction to prenatal therapeutics
- A nurturing, guided yoga practice, approximately 90 minutes
- An informative course handout available for download
- A course certificate after the successful completion of the online quiz
- This course is available on demand and does not expire, so you can always return to practice and revisit the material to deepen your understanding over time.
- This course is eligible for 2 hours of continuing education hours with Yoga Medicine® and/or Yoga Alliance.
About your teacher:
Allie Geer is a Boulder-based yoga teacher with a passion for teaching public classes, workshops, and yoga teacher trainings through a therapeutic yoga lens. Her areas of expertise include myofascial release education and prenatal yoga. She is a registered prenatal instructor who leads prenatal YTTs and a registered Yoga Medicine® Therapeutic Specialist who assists and teaches on behalf of Yoga Medicine®. Click here to learn more about Allie