As a yoga teacher it is clearly not our job to diagnose or to be our students primary care provider, however when working therapeutically there are important moments in time that can determine the outcome of our care and the student’s state of health that hinge on their timeliness of seeing their doctor. As yoga teachers we tend to take all of our students problems on as a challenge to the efficacy of the yoga practice rather than embrace the medical community around us for support. The key is acknowledging that there is a very important place for every medical modality and guiding our students to be mindful of their bodies to help them on their journey to health. In a therapeutic yoga setting we have the opportunity to collect detailed information. In working with our students over a longer period of time, we also see things that may have gone unnoticed that may warrant a visit to their doctor. This course digs into some of the main red flags when working with students with pain that would necessitate a visit to their doctor. Our goal as a yoga teacher is not to be everything to everyone but rather to support both the student and the medical providers with the patients best interest in mind.
Note: The Recognizing Red Flags in a Therapeutic Yoga Setting course is complimentary to students and teachers once they register for a 500/1000hr training with Yoga Medicine. This course is recommended to complete prior to attending a 500/1000hr training. This is to ensure that each participant will have a working familiarity of the evaluations protocol; therefore, there will be more time to cover case studies and discussions during the trainings.
What Will I Learn?
- How to recognize the main red flags when working with students with pain
- How to properly collect detailed information about the students health history
- How to be a support system to both the student and the medical providers
- Pen and paper for notes; but remember, a downloadable handout comes with this course.
- No yoga props are needed for this course.
- Course length: approximately 20 minutes
- Downloadable course handout
- An online quiz with a downloadable certificate of completion
- This course is eligible for 1 hour of continuing education hours with Yoga Medicine® and/or Yoga Alliance.
- This course is available on-demand and does not expire, so you can always return to practice and revisit the material to deepen your understanding over time.
- Recognize the main red flags when working with students with pain that would necessitate a visit to their doctor
- Understand that there is a difference between your role as a therapeutic yoga teacher and the role of the medical community around us
- Guide your students to be mindful of their bodies to help them on their journey to health
- Have a working familiarity of the evaluations protocol
About The Teacher
Tiffany Cruikshank is the founder of Yoga Medicine®. She has been teaching for over 25 years, has a pre-med Bachelor’s degree in Medicinal Plant Biology, and a Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM) with a specialty in Sports Medicine and Orthopedics. Tiffany was previously the Acupuncturist and Yoga Teacher at the Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, and has worked with over 25,000 patients. Read more about Tiffany.