Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
This course is designed for anyone interested to learn more about the sacroiliac (SI) joint — whether you are a yoga teacher, a dedicated yoga student, or someone trying yoga to address SI joint discomfort. The SI joint is a critical hinging point between the upper and lower body, which means it often plays a contributing role in pain in the low back, pelvis, and/or hips.
What Will I Learn?
In this course, we will begin with a look at the structure and function of the joint before adding in the supportive anatomy. From this foundational knowledge, we will look at common sources of dysfunctions and stressors that trigger discomfort. Armed with this information, we will investigate tests and evaluations to identify irritation in the joint. Lastly, we will examine the yoga application and specific components of the yoga practice that help to create support, mobility, and stability to optimize the function of this joint.
The following props are recommended for the practice component of this course: a yoga mat, 1-2 yoga blocks, a blanket.
- Course length: 2.5 hours of online training videos
- A comprehensive, 20-page downloadable course handout with anatomical references and practice tips.
- An optional online quiz with a downloadable certificate of completion
- 3 hours of Teacher Training credit for those enrolled in the Yoga Medicine® 500hr or 1000hr program
At the end of this course, you will:
- Have a deeper anatomical understanding of the sacroiliac joint
- Be familiar with the function and common dysfunctions found in this key joint
- Understand how posture andd active/passive range-of-motion affect this joint and the body’s stability
- Have tools for assessing dysfunction
- Become familiar with pain and trigger points associated with SI joint issues
- Be able to put this all together! You will be able to apply this information to provide a yoga application for yourself or your students through range-of-motion exercises to address asymmetries, navigate weakness or discomfort, and rebuild stability.
About The Teacher
Tiffany Cruikshank is the founder of Yoga Medicine®. She has been teaching for over 25 years, has a premed Bachelor’s degree in Medicinal Plant Biology and a Masters in Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine (MAOM) with a specialty in Sports Medicine and Orthopedics. Tiffany was previously the Acupuncturist & Yoga Teacher at the Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon and has worked with over 25,000 patients.