Are you passionate about teaching yoga to children, but not sure where to begin? Or perhaps you have tried teaching kids yoga before, but left the class feeling depleted? This online course, Teaching Yoga to Children, is for yoga teachers who are dedicated to learning how to teach yoga to children in a fun, engaging and authentic way (without feeling like a kids entertainer). It is for teachers who are ready to learn how to share the powerful benefits of yoga with children to help enhance their health and wellbeing.
This course explores the fundamental principles for teaching yoga to children and examines the learning expectations for different age groups so you can set the right pitch, pace and tone for your class. It offers a step-by-step guide for planning your kids yoga classes and provides strategies for establishing a calm, safe and inspiring learning environment. You will learn a range of techniques for teaching ‘creative’ asana, mindfulness and pranayama to the different age groups. You will gain an understanding of how complex yoga philosophy can be taught to children through ‘circle time’, class themes, questioning and yoga-inspired games. We will conclude the course by exploring the range of practical logistics to be considered before teaching kids yoga.
Your instructor, Alice Louise Blunden, is a Yoga Medicine Therapeutic Specialist and Teach First ambassador with 12 years experience working in education. Alice has designed this course to offer yoga teachers insight into classroom pedagogy principles and how they can be applied to teaching yoga to children in an effective and impactful way.
What Will I Learn?
- Gain an understanding of the fundamentals for teaching yoga to children and apply the skills to create a positive, inspiring and calm environment in which children are ready to learn.
- Learn how to plan, pitch, theme and sequence your kids yoga class for different age groups.
- Learn positive behavior management techniques for maximizing teaching time and minimizing ‘off task’ behavior.
- Learn a range of ‘creative asana’, mindfulness, meditation, breathwork, yoga inspired songs and games appropriate for different age groups.
- Gain an understanding of how complex yoga philosophy can be taught to children through ‘circle time’, class themes, questioning and yoga-inspired games.
- Understand the range of practical logistics to be considered before teaching kids yoga.
- Pen and paper for notes; but remember, a downloadable handout comes with this course.
- A yoga mat and any additional props that you use for your own practice.
- Course length: 3 hours of online lecture/training videos.
- Multidisciplinary learning methods of theory (lecture) and application (+2 sample kids yoga classes).
- The lectures focus on learning about planning, pitching and pacing kids yoga classes for different age groups. Learning strategies for creating a positive, inspiring and calm environment. Dealing with any ‘off task’ students in the least invasive tactic possible. Learning a range of yoga poses, games, meditation and breathwork exercises to use in your classes.
- An informative course handout available for download.
- A course certificate after the successful completion of the online quiz.
- This course is eligible for 3 hours of continuing education hours with Yoga Medicine® and/or Yoga Alliance.
- This course is available on-demand and does not expire, so you can always return to practice and revisit the material to deepen your understanding over time.
- Understand the fundamentals for teaching yoga to children and implement these techniques into their classes.
- Implement positive behavior management techniques into their kids yoga classes to create a safe, fun and inspiring learning environment.
- Learn how to pitch and plan your kids yoga class for different age groups.
- Learn 10 different ‘creative asana’ poses for children, 10 different meditation techniques, 10 pranayama techniques, 10 yoga-inspired games and 5 yoga-inspired songs or rhymes.
- Understand how to teach complex yoga philosophy to children in a relatable way.
- Have a clear understanding of important logistics that need to be considered before teaching yoga to children.
About The Teacher
Alice Bluden is a London-based certified 500-hour Yoga Medicine® teacher, primary school teacher, and Teach First ambassador. She loves working with Tiffany and the team as a Yoga Medicine® teacher while continuing her education through the Yoga Medicine® 1000-hour Master Teacher Training Program.
Alice balances her time as a deputy head teacher at a bilingual primary school and teaching workshops, group and 1:1 classes. She is passionate about bringing yoga into the education system and has a company called The Yoga Project UK that connects yoga teachers with schools as well as delivering workshops and online trainings to both school teachers and yoga teachers to support them through this process.