- SI Joint structure and function before adding in the supportive anatomy.
- Common sources of dysfunctions and stressors that trigger discomfort.
- Tests and evaluations to identify irritation in the joint.
- Yoga application and specific components of the yoga practice that help to create support, mobility, and stability to optimize the function of this joint.
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction Online Course
This course is designed for anyone interested to learn more about the sacroiliac (SI) joint — whether you are a yoga teacher, a dedicated yoga student, or someone trying yoga to address SI joint discomfort. The SI joint is a critical hinging point between the upper and lower body, which means it often plays a contributing role in pain in the low back, pelvis, and/or hips.
The following props are recommended for the practice component of this course: a yoga mat, 1-2 yoga blocks, a blanket.
- Course length: 2.5 hours of online training videos.
- A comprehensive, 20-page downloadable course handout with anatomical references and practice tips.
- A course certificate after the successful completion of the online quiz.
- This course is eligible for 3 hours of continuing education hours with Yoga Medicine® and/or Yoga Alliance.
- This course is available on-demand and does not expire, so you can always return to practice and revisit the material to deepen your understanding over time.
- Have a deeper anatomical understanding of the sacroiliac joint.
- Be familiar with the function and common dysfunctions found in this key joint.
- Understand how posture and active/passive range-of-motion affect this joint and the body’s stability.
- Have tools for assessing dysfunction.
- Become familiar with pain and trigger points associated with SI joint issues.
- Be able to put this all together! You will be able to apply this information to provide a yoga application for yourself or your students through range-of-motion exercises to address asymmetries, navigate weakness or discomfort, and rebuild stability.
About The Teacher
Tiffany Cruikshank is the founder of Yoga Medicine®. She has been teaching for over 25 years, has a premed Bachelor’s degree in Medicinal Plant Biology and a Masters in Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine (MAOM) with a specialty in Sports Medicine and Orthopedics. Tiffany was previously the Acupuncturist & Yoga Teacher at the Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon and has worked with over 25,000 patients.