Just as different yoga practices appeal to some yogis and not others, there’s no single yoga mat to suit all tastes. These day, yoga mat options are seemingly endless, whereas 20 years ago it was basically PVC or bust. There are mats of various textures, lengths, and colors, plus they’re made from a range of alternative materials, like eco-friendly cotton or sustainably-sourced natural rubber. And thankfully, there’s a mat to fit every budget.
Investing in your own mat is more hygienic than one borrowed from a studio—and it can enhance your practice. That’s according to San Francisco-based yoga instructor Sarah Ezrin, who says buying one is like investing in a home. “It’s where you’re going to have your yoga experience, and if you’re not comfortable it’s not going to be a good experience,” Ezrin says.
In terms of price and quality, you don’t need to spend a lot if you’re in the market for a new mat. Ezrin has owned her current mat for 10 years, and says that a dependable mat can cost as little as $20.
As for mat care, her number one tip is to use gentle cleaners. “A light spray with water and lavender essential oil after practice will do,” she says. “And depending on how sweaty your practice is, you should do a deep clean using a mix of lemon juice, water and salt every one to two months.”
So whether you prefer a vigorous vinyasa flow class or have a mellow hatha practice, here are our top picks for the best yoga mats to buy online, according to Ezrin, Tiffany Cruikshank, and other experienced yogis.
- Best Overall Yoga Mat: Manduka Pro
- Yoga Mat with the Best Grip: ALO Warrior Mat
- Most Durable Yoga Mat: Manduka eKO Yoga Mat 5mm
- Best Yoga Mat for Alignment Support: Liforme Original Yoga Mat
- Best Yoga Mat for Travel: Manduka eKo Superlite Yoga Travel Mat
- Best Mat for Sweaty Yogis: Lululemon Arise Mat
- Best Thick Yoga Mat: Jade Yoga Fusion Mat
- Best Mat For Hot Yoga: B YOGA Strong 6mm B Mat
- Best Cheap Yoga Mat: BalanceFrom GoYoga Mat
- Best Yoga Mat for Beginners: Gaiam Yoga for Beginners Kit
- Best Yoga Mat for Tall People: Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
- Best Eco Yoga Mat: Rumi Earth Yoga Mat
Click here to read the full article on Forbes.com and to learn more about each individual yoga mat.