Our mission is to fight human trafficking and sexual exploitation by empowering global, impoverished communities through efforts of education and entrepreneurship.
WHO WE ARE
The Yoga Medicine Seva Foundation was established to address the severity of India’s human trafficking crisis. We are funded by Yoga Medicine members and people like YOU. We are independent of any political ideology, economic interest or religion. Our belief is that no situation is beyond hope and India being the birthplace of yoga, we believe it is our duty to give back to a culture that has given us so much.
- Everyday 400 women and children go missing in India – many remain untraced
- India has the highest number of people enslaved, with approximately 18 million people in modern slavery.
- Each year, millions of women and children are trafficked in India.
- 1 child goes missing somewhere in the country every 8 minutes.
- Almost 80 percent of all worldwide trafficking is for sexual exploitation, with an estimated 1.2 million children being bought and sold into sexual slavery every year.
WHAT WE DO
The Yoga Medicine Seva Foundation works with local anti-trafficking organizations Her Future Coalition (formerly known as Made By Survivors) and the Rescue Foundation. Together we provide counseling, food, shelter, medical care and most importantly, traditional and vocational education to empower women and children to care for and support themselves.
We are passionate about providing and sustaining education that empowers survivors to rebuild their lives and support their families. These educational programs give survivors the tools they need to become leaders in their families and communities, uplifting others and passing on the virtue of self-worth. In a culture where women are thought to have little value, educating and empowering them ensures freedom forever.
Over the past two years we:
– Raised over $40,000 to support 15 shelters in the slums and Red Light Districts of Kolkata
– Contributed 80+ amount of volunteer hours
– Provided direct assistance to over 500 women and children
– Met with
- 2014 Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Kailash Satyarthi
- Founders, educators & rescue teams for Bal Ashram, a rehabilitation and training center for victims of child labor.
- Founder of The Women’s Interlink Foundation, Aloka Mitra
- Sarah Symons, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Her Future Coalition
ANYONE CAN HELP
Every donation, no matter how big or small, makes a difference. $60 covers healthcare, education, nutritious meals, tutoring, yoga and other recreational activities for one child for an entire year. Your donations will go directly to our partner organization Made By Survivors through CrowdRise.