Today hosts Katja and Tiffany discuss the empowerment that comes with an understanding of female hormones and their fluctuation through the menstrual cycle. Yoga encourages this deeper personal investigation and can also provide support and relief to the body as it moves through the phases of the menstrual cycle and life. In this episode, Katja and Tiffany talk about the various factors that affect the menstrual cycle, how this cycle affects our physical and cognitive function, and what happens during each phase.
Listen in to learn about how female hormones influence our muscles and fascial tissues, how yoga can provide relief for menstrual discomfort, and why education surrounding this topic is sorely lacking and yet, so valuable.
“There is a brilliance to this system that enables it to fluctuate so perfectly, this orchestrated timing of events.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“Empowering women with the knowledge that things can be influenced and can be changed is really important.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
- The status quo of the discussion around female hormones [2:15]
- The period as start of the cycle [7:00]
- Yoga relief and exercises for menstrual cramps [10:30]
- What happens during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle [13:11]
- How follicles produce estrogen [15:54]
- Implications of the higher estrogen phase for muscle tissue [17:54]
- Female reproductive hormones and fascial tissues [20:15]
- The menstrual cycle and cognitive function [27:15]
- Life phases when cycle tracking can be tricky [28:15]
- What happens around ovulation [33:33]
- Overview of the second part of the cycle [37:10]
- TCM, sports science and the menstrual cycle [40:27]
- Why progesterone is a brilliant hormone [44:46]
- Education surrounding the menstrual cycle [48:09]
- Exercises for hormonal shifts [54:50]
“The second biggest star of the show is our progesterone.” – Katja Bartsch