The image of a handstand or forearm stand on the beach is such a stereotype in modern postural yoga that it’s almost easy to forget that these poses have a real power and potency to them.
Today host Rachel talks with Amelia Schrader about what she has learned from her long-standing inversion practice. Amelia is a yoga teacher and educator with a Bachelor of Health Science and a background in Naturopathy. After getting a taste of inversions in gymnastics as a child, she was humbled by relearning these poses as an adult.
In this episode, Amelia shares the many reasons why she harbors such a strong love for inversions. She talks about her favorite techniques for strengthening hands and forearms, tips for preventing yoga wrist injuries, as well as what inversions have taught her about lateral thoracic breathing and the 360-degree nature of the core.
Listen in to hear the physical and mental lessons Amelia has learned from her patient practice in inversions, as well as the inner confidence and strength that she gained along the way.
“You do need to show up and do the work whether it’s handstands or your business.” – Amelia Schrader
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“You change your perception of yourself and what you’re capable of.” – Rachel Land
- Finding centre in a period of life transition [3:55]
- COVID-19 as a nudge from the universe [7:09]
- The challenge of going slowly, not addressing uncertainty with busyness [11:25]
- A practice of patience: learning handstands and forearm stands as an adult [13:48]
- Preventing yoga wrist injuries [19:28]
- Techniques to awaken weight-bearing hands and forearms [24:01]
- Lateral thoracic breathing: accessing the breath while the core is engaged [27:19]
- Yoga poses to access lateral thoracic breathing [32:13]
- Building core strength and overcoming back and sacroiliac pain [34:56]
- Gaining confidence from inversions leads to courage in real life [41:56]
- “Enjoy the journey”: takeaway messages from Amelia [47:24]
- Amelia’s upcoming inversion classes on Yoga Medicine Online [50:23]
- Watch this episode on YouTube
- Yoga Medicine Podcast Episode 26: Support the Low Back with Tiffany Cruikshank & Jenni Tarma
- Yoga Medicine Podcast Episode 19: Fascia & Pain
- Yoga Medicine Online Guest Teacher
- Connect with Amelia Schrader:
Facebook | Instagram | Axis Yoga
“It’s almost as if, by wobbling, we find our sense of centre.” – Rachel Land