In our busy lives it can be challenging to allow ourselves to truly rest, but there are potent benefits to be gained when we do. So today hosts Tiffany and Rachel dive into the stillness and quiet of restorative yoga.
In this episode, we outline the key characteristics of restorative yoga and how they work to soothe the nervous system and offer an antidote to stress. We discuss who restorative yoga is for, how to navigate its most common challenges, and how it compares to Yin yoga.
Listen in to hear about the unique benefits of restorative yoga inversions, and our tips on how to get started in a restorative yoga practice.
“Restorative yoga is really about training the nervous system.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“The beautiful thing about restorative yoga as an antidote to psychological stress is that it actually asks us to do less.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
- Common elements of restorative yoga: nervous system focus, long holds, supportive props [2:39]
- Common elements of restorative yoga: low levels of sensation [5:55]
- Restorative yoga as an antidote to stress [7:51]
- A flexible definition of restorative yoga [10:14]
- Savasana as our most familiar restorative posture [12:36]
- Who is restorative yoga for? [14:02]
- Restorative yoga for better sleep [18:38]
- Comparing restorative and Yin yoga [22:51]
- Challenges of restorative yoga: adjusting to less stimulus [26:46]
- Challenges of restorative yoga: making peace with imperfection [28:33]
- Tips for restorative yoga beginners [31:17]
- In a busy life, restorative yoga can feel inefficient [36:08]
- Is there such a thing as too much restorative yoga? [39:33]
- The benefits of restorative inversions [43:33]
- Home substitutions for common restorative yoga props [45:57]
- How to get started with restorative yoga and Yoga Medicine resources [50:44]
- Reaping the benefits: frequency over duration [53:48]
- Watch this episode on YouTube
- Nervous System & Restorative Yoga Teacher Training
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Teacher Training
- Yoga Medicine® Online Resources:
- Yoga Medicine® Teacher Directory
“We might feel some sensations but that is not the goal. Our goal is actually to support ourselves to do less, not to find a stretch.” – Tiffany Cruikshank