Most of us will run into unexpected setbacks in life. Today’s guest Megan Kearney knows plenty about using those situations as opportunities to learn and grow stronger. An admitted type-a personality and “recovering triathlete”, Megan has been in the health and wellness industry for more than 20 years. She is a Yoga Medicine therapeutic specialist with additional trainings in mental health and traumatic brain injury resilience and iRest Yoga Nidra.
When COVID-19 hit, Megan’s previously successful yoga studios closed, and her marriage ended. In this episode, she talks with Rachel Land about turning these, and other, setbacks into success by practicing relentless realistic optimism. She also talks about the importance of self care rituals, movement, getting outdoors, gratitude, relationships, journalling, therapy and other practical ways to make space to feel and process both good and bad experiences until we feel ready to move on.
Listen in to learn how to pull yourself out of ‘the suck’, and how to turn what we learn in that struggle into the source of our future success.
“What is this teaching me? How am I growing from it? And that’s the realistic optimism that helps us all be more resilient.” – Megan Kearney
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“I don’t need to have the answers right now.” – Megan Kearney
- Megan’s journey to yoga starts with meditation [4:13]
- From Bikram yoga, through sports injuries, to yoga as a source of healing [6:29]
- The transition from practicing to teaching yoga [14:32]
- Opening two yoga studios [18:29]
- The professional and personal impact of the pandemic [19:58]
- Key self care techniques to create space to feel in times of crisis [23:08] and [31:51]
- The power of gratitude and ‘Five Things Friday’ [33:05]
- The importance of connection and relationship and Megan’s ‘Areas of Inquiry’ [35:40]
- Journalling, therapy and movement in nature to help us process our experiences and shift perspective [39:09]
- Megan’s Yoga Rx program and honest consideration of readiness to change [42:56]
- Final thoughts for anyone currently in ‘the suck’ [48:43]
- Watch this episode on YouTube
- Yoga & Mindfulness 101 for Physicians & Healthcare Providers Online Course
- Myofascial Release Teacher Training
- Yoga Medicine Online Guest Teacher
- Connect with Megan Kearney:
“I get up before the rest of the world gets up, so that I own my day.” – Megan Kearney