The benefits of strength training for muscle and bone strength as well as metabolic, cognitive and mental health are now very well established. But there’s so much, often conflicting, information out there; it can be challenging to know where to focus your time and effort to reap those benefits.
Today’s guest Jenni Tarma — yoga teacher, RRCA Endurance Coach and CrossFit Level 1 trainer—is back on the show to help us clear up that confusion. Jenni overviews some of the key benefits of regular strength training before unpacking several common myths and misconceptions that could be holding you back. She offers her advice on where regular yoga practitioners and strength training beginners could start, and highlights the power of the recovery phase.
Listen to this episode to learn the benefits of strength training and get tips for incorporating effective strength work into your life.
“There is actually a lot more overlap between strength training and yoga than people might consider.” – Jenni Tarma
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“Strength is actually the prerequisite to flexibility in many ways.” – Jenni Tarma
- The many benefits of strength training [3:56]
- Myths and misconceptions about strength training abound [12:22]
- Can strength and flexibility coexist? [13:02]
- The myths of becoming “accidentally ripped” or permanently stiff [20:07]
- Is bodyweight training sufficient? Is external load “safe”? [26:47]
- Does holding yoga poses for longer make you stronger? [32:18]
- Training to make daily life feel easier [35:00]
- Strength training suggestions for yoga students [37:52]
- Getting started: embrace the basics & expert support [42:55]
- Yoga Medicine Online resources [48:42]
- The vital role of recovery & the optimal window to train again [50:58]
- How much weight is enough? [57:05]
- Final takeaways on strength training for yoga students [59:02]
- Watch this episode on YouTube
- Movement Intelligence Online Course
- Yoga for Athletes Teacher Training
- Yoga Medicine Online Resources:
- Connect with Jenni Tarma:
“Strength training is really great for maintaining bone density.” – Jenni Tarma