Concussions are very different for different people, which makes them easily missed, misunderstood or misdiagnosed. Today, host Rachel talks with Dr. Daya Grant about concussions and how yoga practices can support the recovery process.
Dr. Grant is a certified mental performance consultant, neuroscientist, and yoga teacher. In this episode, she outlines what injuries can cause concussions, how they are diagnosed, the wide range of physical, emotional and cognitive symptoms that can be experienced, and – most importantly – how yoga can help.
Listen to this episode to learn which yoga practices help at each stage of recovery, tips for teaching students post-concussion, and general contraindications to bear in mind.
“The most important thing you can do as a yoga teacher is hold space for them to move through whatever they need to.” – Dr. Daya Grant
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“The body has been shocked into a sympathetic state after an injury, so to conserve energy and facilitate healing you want to tap into the parasympathetic nervous system as much as possible.” – Dr. Daya Grant
- What ignited Daya’s interest in concussions [3:03]
- What is a concussion and what causes it [5:50]
- An “invisible illness”: the challenge of diagnosis [8:00]
- Somatic symptoms of concussion [12:09]
- Emotional symptoms of concussion [13:19]
- Cognitive symptoms of concussion [14:36]
- Daya’s personal experience of concussion [15:25]
- Gradual return to activity after concussion; when yoga can help [19:05]
- Returning to group yoga classes after concussion [22:02]
- Breath work during concussion recovery [24:28]
- The value of Yoga Nidra and Restorative yoga to support healing [26:06]
- General contraindications for yoga during concussion recovery [28:16]
- Approaching balance poses with humility [30:25]
- The importance of minimal, simple cueing [31:09]
- Tips for teaching one-on-one yoga during concussion recovery [32:37]
- Why it’s difficult to predict concussion healing timetables [35:16]
- Key takeaways and common misunderstandings about concussions [40:01]
- Maximizing our potential to heal from repeat concussions [42:23]
“There are things you can do and there are ways in which you can tap into your strength.” – Dr. Daya Grant