Today hosts Rachel and Tiffany tackle the taboo topic of yoga during menstruation. We examine traditional barriers to practicing during menstruation and more modern takes on which poses and practices might be more or less supportive.
In this episode we also reframe menstruation as a “fresh start”, a window into our internal state, share a wide range of techniques to ease menstrual discomfort, and consider the process from a Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective.
Whether you menstruate, or teach people who do, listen in to this episode to learn how to craft a yoga practice that is physically and energetically supportive before, during, and after menstruation.
“There’s a lot more individuality that we can work with and postures that we can be really specific to in a therapeutic practice to support female health.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN TO THE PODCAST ON APPLE PODCASTS. AND BE SURE TO LEAVE US A RATING AND REVIEW!
“The cycle is like a window through which we can get to know ourselves in a really particular and specific way.” – Rachel Land
- Menstruation can be cloaked with secrecy or shame [3:00]
- The traditional origin of abstaining from yoga during menstruation [4:48]
- Could practicing during menses deplete vital energy? [8:05]
- Yoga inversions during menstruation: physical and energetic considerations [9:05]
- Twists and abdominal compression during menstruation [14:02]
- Menstruation as a “fresh start” and the importance of circulation [17:07]
- Lessons from TCM; why movement is key [19:33]
- Thoughts on bandhas during your period [21:33]
- More yoga techniques to ease menstrual discomfort [25:55]
- Alternatives to movement to ease menstrual discomfort [30:12]
- Pre-period tactics to set up for easier menstruation [31:10]
- Menstruation in the context of fertility challenges [36:35]
- Key takeaways [38:15]
- Yoga Medicine Online resources [40:02]
- Watch this episode on YouTube
- Female Health Yoga Teacher Training
- Yoga Medicine Podcast Episode 48: Research Roundup: Female Hormones
- Yoga Medicine Resources:
“Experiment and take away the fear.” – Tiffany Cruikshank
One thought on “62: Yoga During Menstruation: Yes or No?”
How about a menopause episode? Over 45s are feeling left out 😉